Our San Antonio OBGYNs urge patients to schedule an annual well woman exam
The annual well woman exam provides our San Antonio OBGYNs with an opportunity to assess each patient’s health annually. This appointment is an essential part of preventive healthcare for women of all ages.
The annual exam is important for the patient and our physicians for several reasons.
- Our doctors can identify medical problems
- Physicians can explain and discuss preventive healthcare
- Our OBGYNs can identify a patient’s risk factors for certain diseases.
- Our staff has time to screen the patient for various diseases and conditions.
The essentials of an annual well woman exam
At the beginning of every annual exam, the patient provides our staff with a detailed personal and family medical history. She also lists anything that has changed since her last visit. This information is a vital part of the examination because it helps our San Antonio OBGYNs make a more accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.
A physical examination is another fundamental aspect of every annual well woman exam. Our physicians and staff may perform several tasks during this appointment.
- Taking the patient’s blood pressure and weight
- Performing a clinical breast examination and pelvic examination
- Palpating the patient’s abdomen and the lymph nodes in the groin area.
A thorough examination helps our physicians assess the patient’s overall health.
Health screenings are vital preventive health tools
Part of the annual well woman exam is a discussion about health screenings.
- A Pap smear for women between the ages of 21 and 29
- A Pap smear and an HPV test every five years for women between the ages of 30 and 65
- Individualized screening recommendations for women over 65
- Breast cancer screening, including mammograms
- Osteoporosis screening, including bone density scans
- Screening for sexually transmitted infections
- Diabetes screening
- Screening for mental health problems
Our physicians also discuss and provide any vaccinations the patient may need.
This appointment provides excellent opportunities for discussion
Talking to a patient helps our San Antonio OBGYNs establish trust and a comfortable relationship with each woman. During the annual exam, our physicians encourage the patient to ask any questions. Anything a patient reveals in our office is confidential. Providing our physicians with complete information is how women receive the best care possible.
Every woman should make an annual exam a top priority
Many women tend to put everyone else first, but our San Antonio OBGYNs encourage patients to prioritize their annual well woman exam so that they can live their best life. Contact us to schedule an appointment.